Bybit sues North Korea over $1.5 billion hack and wins court order freezing identified assets

Bybit sues North Korea over $1.5 billion hack and wins court order freezing identified assets

N
News Editor
2026-08-10 09:04:00
Crypto exchange Bybit has filed a civil lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia over the theft of $1.5 billion from the platform in February 2025, naming the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, its Reconnaissance General Bureau, and Lazarus Group. The exchange said a judge granted a preliminary injunction that bars the transfer or dissipation of identified stolen assets while the case moves forward, and found Bybit likely to succeed on the merits. Bybit said it has recovered about $48.4 million and frozen roughly $30.5 million across more than 28 exchanges and custodians, together equal to around 5% of the amount taken. The lawsuit also names unidentified individuals and entities holding or moving the funds as John Doe defendants. The exchange said attackers drained roughly 500,000 ETH from a cold wallet after manipulating a signing interface that displayed the correct destination address to approvers while changing the wallet’s underlying logic. By April, Ben Zhou said 69% of the proceeds remained traceable, 28% had gone dark, and 4% had been frozen. By June, Greek authorities had traced part of the funds to a wallet at a domestic exchange and issued a seizure order. Bybit said the civil case is proceeding alongside criminal investigations and that it continues to share blockchain intelligence with agencies including the FBI.

Crypto exchange Bybit has filed a civil lawsuit against North Korea over the theft of $1.5 billion from the exchange in February 2025 and has already secured a court order freezing stolen assets that investigators have identified.

Bybit sues North Korea over $1.5 billion hack and wins court order freezing identified assets 2

The complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. It names the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, its Reconnaissance General Bureau, and Lazarus Group, the state-linked hacking organization that U.S. authorities blame for the attack. Unidentified individuals and entities alleged to be holding or moving the funds were included as John Doe defendants.

Bybit said Friday that a judge granted a preliminary injunction preventing the transfer or dissipation of identified assets while the case proceeds. The exchange also said the court found Bybit likely to succeed on the merits. In an earlier temporary restraining order, the court described the theft as one of the largest the crypto industry has seen.

Recovered and frozen funds

According to Bybit, about $48.4 million has been recovered and roughly $30.5 million has been frozen across more than 28 exchanges and custodians. Combined, that amounts to approximately 5% of the funds taken in the hack.

In a statement issued Thursday, co-founder and CEO Ben Zhou said, 「It was an attack on trust in our industry,」 adding that Bybit worked with investigators, exchanges, regulators, and law enforcement before taking the matter to court.

How the 500,000 ETH was taken

Bybit said the attackers drained roughly 500,000 ETH from a cold wallet in February 2025. The theft happened after a signing interface was manipulated so that approvers were shown the correct destination address while the wallet’s underlying logic was altered. Zhou said at the time that the exchange remained solvent and could absorb the loss.

Tracing the stolen proceeds

By April, Zhou said around 69% of the proceeds remained traceable, 28% had gone dark, and 4% had been frozen. Bybit said most of the stolen Ethereum was converted into Bitcoin through Thorchain and then moved through mixers including Wasabi, Tornado Cash, and Railgun.

In June, Greek authorities traced part of the money to a wallet at a domestic exchange and issued a seizure order.

Civil case runs alongside criminal probes

Bybit said the civil action is moving forward in parallel with criminal investigations and that it continues to share blockchain intelligence with agencies including the FBI. The exchange pointed to Germany’s takedown of the eXch exchange and the disruption of Cryptomixer.io by German and Swiss authorities as examples of that cooperation.

The proceedings are ongoing.

This article was originally published by Bit.Fan. For more cryptocurrency news and market insights, visit www.bit.fan.
90

Disclaimer:

The market information, project data, and third-party content displayed on this platform are for industry information sharing only and do not constitute any form of investment advice or return commitment.

Cryptocurrency trading carries high risks. Users should fully assess their risk tolerance and make independent decisions. All profits, losses, and legal responsibilities are borne by the users themselves.