BackSnapchat

Snapchat

Gen Z
2026-08-15 11:03:32

Gen Z’s 2016 revival taps a deeper anxiety over who still makes the internet

A nostalgia trend branded "2026 is the new 2016" is spreading across TikTok, but the objects of affection are not the polished highlights of a past era. They are dog-face filters, flower-crown overlays, blurry iPhone 6 photos, oversaturated selfies, rough Tumblr collages, and challenge videos that once looked cheap because they were everywhere. According to BlockTempo, TikTok searches for "2016" jumped 452% in a single week, Spotify playlists themed around 2016 rose 71% from a year earlier, and Google Trends hit a record high for the term in mid-January. GWI found that 42% of Gen Z said they missed the 2010s most, the highest share among all generations. The article argues that this is not nostalgia in the strict psychological sense. Drawing on the work of University of Southampton researchers Constantine Sedikides and Tim Wildschut, it says nostalgia usually helps individuals restore continuity in their own identity. What is happening here looks more collective. In BlockTempo’s reading, young users are not simply revisiting the past for comfort; they are marking the loss of an internet where human beings were assumed to be the primary authors. The piece backs that claim with several data points: a joint estimate from MIT CSAIL and the Oxford Internet Institute said 64% of newly published online content in 2026 was AI-generated; Reuters’ Digital Media Report 2026 said 79% of visual content on Instagram, TikTok and Pinterest came from AI; and Imperva found automated traffic had crossed half of all web traffic for the first time in a decade.

90
Gen Z’s 2016 revival taps a deeper anxiety over who still makes the internet
France
2026-08-12 15:49:07

French couple targeted three times after buying former crypto millionaire’s home

A couple in France’s Somme department was hit by three break-ins in less than a month after purchasing a house previously owned by a cryptocurrency millionaire, according to The Block. The attackers reportedly acted on leaked tax records and address details from the former owner that had circulated on the dark web, leading them to believe the new residents held roughly €1 million in crypto assets. In the first incident, the intruders were driven off by the couple’s dog. In the second, the residents were overpowered and the assault was streamed on Snapchat before the attackers realized they had the wrong target and fled. A third attempt was stopped by the home’s alarm system. The Amiens criminal court later convicted two men involved in the third break-in. The two defendants, aged 20 and 21, were sentenced to three years and 18 months in prison, respectively.

450
French couple targeted three times after buying former crypto millionaire’s home
Snapchat
2026-08-01 12:33:37

Snapchat to stop recommending fully AI-generated videos in Spotlight

Snapchat will no longer recommend videos made entirely with artificial intelligence in its Spotlight feed, according to a BBC report cited by BlockBeats on Aug. 1. The platform said it will instead give priority to content created by real people. The move places Snapchat alongside other major internet platforms that have recently adjusted their policies or recommendation systems in response to a rise in low-quality, repetitive AI-generated material. The report noted that YouTube, LinkedIn and Substack have taken similar steps in recent weeks. Snapchat’s change is aimed at limiting the spread of spam-like AI content in recommendation feeds rather than removing all AI-assisted media from the platform.

690
Snapchat to stop recommending fully AI-generated videos in Spotlight
Steam
2026-07-25 03:07:06

FBI traced alleged Steam malware funder through Uber Eats orders and seized wallet seed phrases

Federal prosecutors have accused 21-year-old Zyaire Wilkins of helping fund a scheme that placed crypto-stealing malware inside eight games distributed on Steam, according to a 15-page criminal complaint cited by BlockTempo. Wilkins was arrested in Florida on July 14. Investigators say the campaign ran from May 2024 to February 2026, infected about 8,000 devices, opened roughly 80 crypto wallets, and caused at least $220,000 in confirmed losses. The case stands out because investigators did not break Monero’s privacy model to identify the suspect. Instead, the FBI followed a trail that moved from stolen-wallet bitcoin to Bitrefill gift cards, then to more than 500 Uber Eats orders worth over $9,000 sent to three addresses. The complaint also says agents connected browser cookies, email accounts carrying Wilkins’ initials, T-Mobile subscriber data, a Snapchat account that had used his real name, and a family residence in North Lauderdale, Florida. When agents executed a search warrant on July 8, they seized a laptop, a phone, and three wallet seed phrases, including one for a Monero wallet. According to the report, that wallet exposed activity across eight addresses totaling 1,233 XMR, valued at about $382,000 at current prices. Prosecutors have charged Wilkins with one count of conspiracy to obtain information from a protected computer for private financial gain. He is presumed innocent unless convicted.

740
FBI traced alleged Steam malware funder through Uber Eats orders and seized wallet seed phrases
France
2026-07-22 03:27:33

France moves to bar under-15s from social media as Taiwan advances age checks and access limits

France’s Senate has passed a bill that would bar children under 15 from using social media, putting the country on track to become another major jurisdiction after Australia to adopt a hard age threshold. Under the reported plan, the law would take effect on Sept. 1, ban new accounts for users under 15, give platforms four additional months to shut existing accounts, and require age-verification systems approved by France’s privacy regulator. Taiwan is not pursuing the same outright ban, but it has begun moving on a different front. On April 21, 2026, the Ministry of Health and Welfare published draft amendments to Article 59 of the Protection of Children and Youths Welfare and Rights Act. The proposal would introduce age-identification mechanisms and allow access-restriction measures for harmful content, with detailed standards to be set by the NCC and the Ministry of Digital Affairs. The draft has already drawn criticism from civil society groups. The Judicial Reform Foundation warned of privacy risks, overly broad legal authorization, and weak due-process protections around network blocking. Amnesty International Taiwan also raised concerns about possible harm to privacy, anonymity and free expression. The debate in Taiwan is no longer only about whether minors should face tighter controls online, but about what kind of enforcement infrastructure is being built and how far it could later be extended.

590
France moves to bar under-15s from social media as Taiwan advances age checks and access limits