Delio CEO Sentenced to 15 Years in South Korea Over $49 Million Crypto Fraud Case

Delio CEO Sentenced to 15 Years in South Korea Over $49 Million Crypto Fraud Case

N
News Editor
2026-08-13 10:16:50
A South Korean court has sentenced Delio CEO Jeong Sang-ho to 15 years in prison over the collapse of the crypto deposit platform, convicting him on a narrower set of charges worth roughly 70 billion won, or about $49 million. The ruling came after the court threw out Delio server database evidence, finding that prosecutors failed to properly protect the company’s right to participate in a search and seizure at server host Gabia and did not provide a list of seized items. That decision wiped out much of the original indictment, which had alleged fraud involving about 2,800 victims and roughly 250 billion won, or about $176 million, between August 2021 and June 2023. The court also found Jeong guilty of registering Delio as a virtual asset service provider with a falsified accounting firm report that allegedly overstated coin holdings by about 47.6 billion won. Judges said Jeong dishonestly obtained his license, promoted Delio as a crypto bank despite lacking the ability to run it, and blamed bankruptcy for failing to return customer assets. The verdict had been scheduled for July 16 but was delayed after the evidence dispute reopened arguments.

The Seoul Southern District Court has sentenced Delio CEO Jeong Sang-ho to 15 years in prison over the failure of the South Korean crypto deposit platform, five years less than prosecutors had sought.

Delio CEO Sentenced to 15 Years in South Korea Over $49 Million Crypto Fraud Case 2

According to local outlet Newsis, Criminal Division 11 of the court, presided over by Judge Jang Chan, delivered the ruling on Thursday afternoon. The court accepted only part of the prosecution’s original case, and Jeong’s conviction rested largely on fallback charges that were added later.

Server evidence was thrown out

The case turned on procedure. Jeong’s lawyers argued that a search and seizure carried out at Gabia, the company hosting Delio’s servers, had been unlawful, and the court agreed.

The court found that prosecutors did not guarantee Delio’s right to participate in the search and did not hand over a list of seized items. As a result, the platform’s database, along with everything derived from it, was ruled to have no evidentiary value.

That sharply narrowed the indictment. Prosecutors had originally accused Jeong of defrauding about 2,800 people of roughly 250 billion won, or about $176 million, in crypto between August 2021 and June 2023.

What remained was a reserve case prosecutors had filed after the evidence came under challenge. That narrower case covered about 1,100 victims and roughly 70 billion won, or $49 million. Jeong was also acquitted with respect to 41 additional victims for whom no evidence was submitted.

False filing tied to VASP registration

Jeong was also convicted of registering Delio as a virtual asset service provider using a falsified accounting firm report. Prosecutors said the document overstated the company’s coin holdings by about 47.6 billion won, roughly $34 million.

What the court said

The court said Jeong obtained his license dishonestly and took more than 70 billion won from customers. Judges also said he marketed Delio as a crypto bank without having the capacity to operate it, then evaded responsibility by citing bankruptcy when customer assets were not returned.

In mitigation, the court noted that outside events had contributed to the collapse and that Jeong had no prior convictions carrying a punishment above a fine.

Verdict was delayed after evidence challenge

The ruling had originally been set for July 16, but it was delayed after Jeong’s legal team raised objections over the evidence and the court reopened arguments. Prosecutors then submitted the narrower fallback charges in case the server materials were excluded, which is what ultimately happened.

Delio had frozen withdrawals in 2023

Delio had offered high interest on deposits of Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other tokens while presenting itself as a digital asset bank. The platform halted withdrawals without warning in June 2023, citing market volatility. It suspended service in August that year after failing to secure court approval for operating costs, including web hosting, and it was declared bankrupt in November 2024.

This article was originally published by Bit.Fan. For more cryptocurrency news and market insights, visit www.bit.fan.
120

Disclaimer:

The market information, project data, and third-party content displayed on this platform are for industry information sharing only and do not constitute any form of investment advice or return commitment.

Cryptocurrency trading carries high risks. Users should fully assess their risk tolerance and make independent decisions. All profits, losses, and legal responsibilities are borne by the users themselves.