Samsung Electronics is considering converting Line 2 at its next-generation NRD-K semiconductor complex in Giheung from an R&D line into a foundry production line, analyst Jukan said on Aug. 14, citing South Korean media.
The plan is intended to expand Samsung’s 2nm capacity for base chips used in high-bandwidth memory, with the line dedicated to 2nm base dies for HBM. The reported target is demand for cHBM and HBM5 from customers including Nvidia.
Line 2 is expected to start in the second half of 2028
According to the report, the line is expected to come online in the second half of 2028. It would operate under a Send Fab model, meaning it would receive wafers from other mass-production lines and carry out only specific process stages as a supporting foundry facility.
NRD-K is Samsung’s most advanced integrated R&D complex, built with an investment of about 20 trillion won. The site has three planned production lines, and Line 1 was completed at the end of 2024.
Samsung is positioning for stronger HBM demand
The reported shift reflects Samsung’s effort to move early as AI infrastructure drives a sharp increase in HBM demand. By prioritizing 2nm technology for custom HBM and HBM5, Samsung is seeking to preserve its edge in performance for advanced packaging base chips.
Industry views cited in the report said Line 2 is relatively small, which makes it suitable for the Send Fab role. At the same time, the line is still about two years away from launch, its final purpose could change with market conditions, and equipment procurement orders have not yet been formally placed.
The line had previously been considered for DRAM mass production
The report added that Line 2 had earlier been considered for DRAM mass production. DRAM capacity is now being concentrated further in the Pyeongtaek complex. The production-line change is also seen as another sign that HBM base chips are moving toward more customization and more advanced process nodes.

