Australia Sues Telegram, Seeks Up to A$54.6 Million Over Pro-Terror Content

Australia Sues Telegram, Seeks Up to A$54.6 Million Over Pro-Terror Content

N
News Editor
2026-07-30 15:22:50
Australia’s online safety regulator has launched civil penalty proceedings against Telegram in the Federal Court, seeking penalties of up to A$54.6 million, or about $38 million, over allegations that the platform failed to detect and remove known pro-terror material. The case follows a year-long investigation by the eSafety Commissioner, which claims content linked to the 2019 Christchurch mosque shooting and the 2022 Buffalo supermarket attack remained available on the app, and that Telegram’s terms of service did not ban pro-terror material across all parts of the platform. eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said Telegram had maintained a permissive environment where extremist content was easy to find. She also said Australia could ask the federal court to cease the service in the country, though those powers have never been used. The filing adds to mounting legal pressure around Telegram and founder Pavel Durov, who is also facing separate cases in Russia and France. Telegram has rejected the allegations and said it will fight them in court. The lawsuit will also test Australia’s 2021 law requiring platforms to keep pro-terror content off their networks.

Australia’s online safety regulator has taken Telegram to court, accusing the platform of failing to police extremist material and seeking penalties of up to A$54.6 million, or about $38 million. The regulator also raised the prospect of asking a court to shut the service down in Australia.

Australia Sues Telegram, Seeks Up to A$54.6 Million Over Pro-Terror Content 2

Civil penalty case filed in Federal Court

The eSafety Commissioner filed civil penalty proceedings in the Federal Court on Thursday after a year-long investigation. The regulator alleges Telegram failed to detect known pro-terror material, including the live-streamed 2019 Christchurch mosque shooting and content tied to the 2022 Buffalo supermarket attack. According to the filing, the Buffalo material stayed on the platform for nearly three months.

The case also argues that Telegram’s terms of service did not prohibit pro-terror material across all parts of the app.

Regulator says extremist material was easy to find

Julie Inman Grant, Australia’s eSafety Commissioner, told BBC News that Telegram had maintained a “permissive environment” where extremist content was “very easy to find.” She said such material “only serves to desensitise, to normalise and to sometimes radicalise” users. She added that Telegram was also “sometimes used to plan attacks.”

Inman Grant said Australia does not license platforms, but added: “We could apply to the federal court and ask that the service be ceased.” She also said, “We’ve never used those powers. We’ll see how this all plays out.”

Telegram had previously been fined over delays

In February last year, the regulator issued Telegram an infringement notice for nearly $1 million after the company took five months to answer questions about terrorist material and child sexual exploitation material. Telegram called that penalty “unfair and disproportionate” at the time and said it would appeal.

Pressure builds across three jurisdictions

The Australian filing came a day after Russia’s Federal Security Service, or FSB, charged Telegram founder Pavel Durov with aiding terrorism and placed him on an international wanted list. Russian authorities allege the platform failed to remove channels used by Ukrainian intelligence and extremist groups. If convicted there, Durov faces up to life in prison.

Durov is also facing a separate case in France. He was indicted there in 2024 over drug trafficking, organized fraud, and child sexual abuse material on Telegram, and was later released under judicial supervision. Durov has denied wrongdoing and described the French case as “legally and logically absurd.”

A Telegram spokesperson told the BBC that the company’s “extensive” anti-terrorism efforts were “well documented.” The spokesperson added: “We reject these allegations and will contest them in court.”

A test for Australia’s 2021 platform law

The lawsuit is also shaping up as a test of Australia’s 2021 law requiring platforms to keep pro-terror material off their networks. It comes shortly after Australia moved to ban social media for users under 16, a measure led by Inman Grant.

This article was originally published by Bit.Fan. For more cryptocurrency news and market insights, visit www.bit.fan.
130

Disclaimer:

The market information, project data, and third-party content displayed on this platform are for industry information sharing only and do not constitute any form of investment advice or return commitment.

Cryptocurrency trading carries high risks. Users should fully assess their risk tolerance and make independent decisions. All profits, losses, and legal responsibilities are borne by the users themselves.